THE STORY OF THE SKI- AND HIKING AREA
There are many ups and downs in the history of Merano 2000…
THERE ARE MANY UPS AND DOWNS IN THE HISTORY OF MERANO 2000
… failed spectacular skyscraper – projects, the growth up of skiing aces, the building of cablecars, to withstand an assassination, horrible accidents, through the tourism becomes the area always new balance between nature and human, between farmer, athlete, hosts and tourism experts found and search.
The most important dates:
- 1923: the cablecar Maia Alta -Saint Cathrein was built
- 1950: the foundation of the company “Ifinger Seilbahnen AG”
- 1965: the first lift “Rosa Alpina” from Falzeben to the skiing area was construed, other lifts followed
- 1967: the first rope race was organized by Kari Putz
- 1968: after 3 years of building time opens the “Ifinger Seilbahn”. So, the ropeway is the direct way between the spa town Merano and the ski- and hiking area. Pioneers of the ski sport, including the ropeway- engineer Hany Troyer, decided to call the plateau “Merano 2000”.
- 1969: presenting of the skyscraper- projects for a hotel at Merano 2000 and because of the negative amount of the public the project was not approved.
- 1978: dedication of the road Merano- Avelengo
- 1988: an accident in one of the cabine of the cablecar with one dead and three seriously injured
- 1998: the lift “Rosa Alpina” was replaced by the gondola “Falzeben”
- 2006: the Alpin Bob was built
- 2010: in only 10 months the old ropeway was replaced by the new cablecar Merano 2000
- 2016: the via ferrata Heini Holzer opened
- 2017: the Oudoor- Kids Camp opened
THE BOOK ABOUT MERANO 2000
The artist Elisabeth Hölzl and author Jutta Telser collected in a special portrait album stories and faces from 44 different people, which the area from Merano 2000 characterize.
Already the subtitle of the book gives an insight across the varied history of Merano 2000”. From palms upon the ski area” was and still is the beautiful vision of Merano 2000.
The book is available by every bookshop in the city of Merano and also at the ticket stood of Merano 2000
PRICE: 19,50 EURO