THERE ARE MANY UPS AND DOWNS IN THE HISTORY OF MERANO 2000...
… failed spectacular skyscraper – projects, the growth up of skiing aces, the building of cablecars, to withstand an assassination, horrible accidents, through the tourism becomes the area always new balance between nature and human, between farmer, athlete, hosts and tourism experts found and search.
THE MOST IMPORTANT DATES:
- 1923: the cablecar Maia Alta -Saint Cathrein was built
- 1950: the foundation of the company “Ifinger Seilbahnen AG”
- 1965: the first lift “Rosa Alpina” from Falzeben to the skiing area was construed, other lifts followed
- 1967: the first rope race was organized by Kari Putz
- 1968: after 3 years of building time opens the “Ifinger Seilbahn”. So, the ropeway is the direct way between the spa town Merano and the ski- and hiking area. Pioneers of the ski sport, including the ropeway- engineer Hany Troyer, decided to call the plateau “Merano 2000”.
- 1969: presenting of the skyscraper- projects for a hotel at Merano 2000 and because of the negative amount of the public the project was not approved.
- 1978: dedication of the road Merano- Avelengo
- 1988: an accident in one of the cabine of the cablecar with one dead and three seriously injured
- 1998: the lift “Rosa Alpina” was replaced by the gondola “Falzeben”
- 2006: the Alpin Bob was built
- 2010: in only 10 months the old ropeway was replaced by the new cablecar Merano 2000
- 2016: the via ferrata Heini Holzer opened
- 2017: the Oudoor Kids Camp opened
- 2018: replacement of the old 2-seater chairlift Wallpach (1981) through a new 6-seater
- 2020: premature closing of the winter season 2019/2020, shorter summer season
- 2020/2021: complete closure of the entire winter season due to Covid-19
- 2021: construction of the new water reservoir Wallpach
- 2022: replacement of the chairlif Piffing through the new Gondola Naifjoch