A CLIMBING ADVENTURE FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY
This fascinating via ferrata is an adventure suitable for all ages and experience levels – and especially for families with older children who enjoy hiking, clambering, scrambling and climbing in all its varieties.
Please note that all climbers must be a minimum of 1.50 m in height.
KEY FACTS AT A GLANCE:
- total distance: 1 km
- difference in altitude: 550 m
- difficulty level: medium (mostly A/B with some sections B/C)
- total hiking time going up: 3-4 hours
- total hiking time coming down: 1.5 hours
WHERE TO START:
From the mountain station at Pivigna, head along trail no. 3, then take a left onto trail no. 18 ("Schartlweg") and follow the signs to the via ferrata.
HOW TO RETURN:
Once you're reached the end of the via ferrata, follow the signs to where the trail branches off to Piccolo Picco Ivigna (2552 m) and Grande Picco Ivigna (2581 m). From there, descend towards the Rifugio Kuhleiten inn, which is well visible. Before reaching the inn, take a right and follow the trail that crosses the meadow and leads to a wider path, which will take you back to your starting point.
- Exit of the via ferrata is still covered with snow.
- All use of the via ferrata is at the climbers' own risk.
- Because the ascent is on the south side of the mountain, we strongly recommend setting off early and taking plenty of water with you.
- Full and adequate equipment (hiking boots, a climbing harness, a via ferrata kit and a helmet) is compulsory.
An early start and an overall sound physical condition and level of fitness are vital prerequisites for climbing on this via ferrata. No water or escape routes are available along the way. If you need to interrupt the climb and are unable to finish it, you will have to return the same way you came.
The entire via ferrata is secured with steel cables: There are no passages that involve free climbing or unsecured terrain.
CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE HEINI HOLZER VIA FERRATA >
Having and correctly using the right equipment is essential for safe climbing. Never enter a via ferrata without a complete and standard-compliant set of climbing equipment and gear: hiking boots, a climbing harness, a via ferrata kit and a helmet.
DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT?
No worries. You can rent all the equipment and gear you'll need from:
- Rent & Go at the ropeway mountain station:
adults: EUR 25; kids: EUR 18
- Sportler Alpin Merano (Portici 60, 39012 Merano)
adults: EUR 18 (reservation: +39 0473 270724)